Wanting a full-length sleeved cardigan, I opted to add an additional row, which I was happy to do in the form of some very hungry space invaders. I also added quite a bit of length to the ribbed cuffs in order to compensate for the still too-short-arms. I love the ribbing and everyone loves the beaded ribbing effect. In fact, I've had more compliments on that than my hungry space invaders and exploding birds. Go figure. :)
Other mods to the pattern: the bird's head is actually smaller than the charted one, I made the back less wide at the arms, and I sewed the buttons on, but then also sewed the overlapping fabrics together as they were tugging in a funny way. I also chose to do a ribbed collar instead of a garter stitch one as specified in the pattern. I'm happy to be done and loving it enough to have worn it three days in a row.