Friday, May 18, 2012

The "Go-Go Triangles" Dress

Originally posted on the Sew Weekly for the "mix it up" mixing prints challenge.

Cheers to mixing it up!  A weekend wedding was just the kind of fire I needed under my butt to make this dress I've had in my queue since this time last year.  Although it was freeezing, I stripped off my jacket and ran into the sun so Sam could take photos while the sun was still shining.  Lucky weather for a Dutch spring wedding - we haven't regularly seen the sun in a while!
 
The Facts
Fabric: 1.5m Batik & .75m quilting cotton, .5m quilting cotton for bodice lining, acetate for skirt front lining
Pattern: 5/2011 Dress with A-line Skirt
Year: 2011
Notions: zipper, some bias fusible interfacing tape
Time to complete: 3 days
First worn: 05/12/2012
Wear again? yes!
Total price: Not sure, probably around $20.



Price breakdown: The Batik was a gift from my friends (a gift certificate for Quilt et Textilkunst in Munich).  The Timeless Treasures quilting cotton for the sketchy blue parts of the dress were from the Fat Quarter Shop or Hawthorne Threads (~$9/yd). The Amy Butler quilting cotton for the lining has been in my stash for at least 4 years.  The acetate was leftovers from the Plaid Starlet Suit Jacket.


This dress goes down as my fastest dress ever.  I was so happy I put it together so quickly and with as little mishaps as possible.  Everything came from my stash this time and it felt good not to have to run to the store.  It all came together just in time for the wedding - even a day early!  I guess I must have learned something in the last several months after participating in six challenges. The wedding went well (although it was still quite cold for May!) and my dress was comfortable and matched the blue/teal color theme of the day.  Many guests were wearing teal blue it was hard to believe none of us knew what the colors of the decor were going to be... the invite was red and white!

yes! I picked the right colors!!

As for the pattern, I recommend it for those with a little experience and even the adventurous beginner.  I adapted a little bit by changing the zipper to a lapped one, and I added a lining to the front and side triangles.  It really helped with dancing whilst wearing nylons - no cling or bunching while busting a move.  I lowered the neckline slightly - ooh you can't see it because the knitted cowl is covering it...Ah well, the cowl a pattern by Laura Chau called Dipped Infinity Scarf which is super easy and pretty IMO.   Take my word for it that the neckline is a boat-neck and the straps are quite thin but still mostly covered my bra straps.  I modified the back to adapt to my shape before the zipper was installed, and that was it!

4 comments:

oonaballoona said...

NICE MIXING!!! what a great rendition of this dress, im planning a steal in the near future :)))

and those boots. get right out of town.

Ruth said...

Great colour mixing and really flattering dress.

Adri H. said...

Thank you, Oona & Ruth!

Oona feel free to steal. :D

Melissa W. said...

Incredible! And very flattering!! maybe some day when I learn how to sew...