I really like the airbrush texture in his work, and wanted to see if I could somehow capture a bit of the grittiness in my own digital work. Some of what bugged me about the spring horse illustrations of last week was that I couldn't capture the right texture.
Another thing I wanted to address was the lack of variety in the spring horse illustration. It felt a bit blocked. Maybe it was too much time on the digital work from the get-go, and not enough sketching. This time, I had a goal of illustrating 20 different elements in one illustration. I got close... I illustrated 16 different elements. Baby steps! For subject matter, I picked my fave jungle creatures and rolled with it. This sounds corny, but I tried not to try so hard.
Okay, that's all for now!
Here's my sketch in case you wanted to see how this started.
|one of the sketches for "jungle"|