Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another Adventure Dyeing Things Blue

A new colorwork project dictates that I must have the perfect colors for the pattern.  So, in advance of working on Little Birds by Ysolda Teague I have searched through my stash and decided upon these colorways from my Wollmeise sock yarn...

Fuchsia
Nobody's Perfect Wasabi
and...

A light blue that didn't exist until I hand-dyed it earlier in the week.  Here is the story, in photos, of it's birth.  I'm calling it bluebird.

First it was a hank of Wollmeise 100% Natur, and it was subject to trial by fire in a hot pot of near-boiling water with a bit of Ashford dye.
 
After the hot came the cool water phase where it began its transformation into bluebird.
And once cooled and left to dry out, it was twisted and coiled into a skein.
Behold, the little bare undyed hank with so much potential, that is now, bluebird.  Yay!  I can't wait to knit it up.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the color! Is it colorfast?

adriprints said...

It should be colorfast. I used dye that is meant for wool so it should be colorfast when used as stated in the instructions. I used vinegar as a setting agent as per the instructions of the dye, and when I rinsed it, the water ran clear with barely any color. I think this was a successful batch.