Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tutorial: Fair-isle Floats

In this tutorial, I'll share with you what I do to weave in a long float when I'm knitting in fair-isle.  This technique effectively splits the float in two making a smaller, less snag-prone float when you're knitting with multiple strands.

The basis for this tutorial is that I hold the two colors in my left hand, and I knit continental-style when I'm working with two colors.  If I'm working with three colors, the technique is the same except I bring in the third color that I hold with my right hand, and twist the threads to keep the floats small.  This technique is especially helpful for accessories such as mittens or hats which are prone to snagging with earrings, fingertips, etc.



Thanks for watching!  If you lose track of this post, you can always find links to my video and photo tutorials under the "tutorials" tab on the opening page underneath the header.

No comments: