Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Double Wedding Ring Quilt, Autumn Colors



Today, I'm showing a double wedding ring quilt I made for a friend who was married earlier in August.  I was stumped as to what to make for this sewing buddy and when the double wedding ring quilt challenge came along I thought it was kismet.  I rolled with it.

the pieced top, not yet quilted
She tends to like colors found in fall leaves: coppers, golds, and rich, warm reds, so I dug into my stash and came up with silk fabric I had been holding onto until a special project came along.  I have to admit I was daunted by the curved piecing and the multiple seams.  And the plaid silk, while being lovely to touch, feels like paper to sew, and it shows every mistake you make.  I tried to match the plaid too!  That was a fun challenge since I was using leftover fabric, but I think it worked reasonably well considering!




I am not actually sure how I completed the piecing for this quilt, but somehow I did it.  I should read up on how others have completed the task so I can get a bit better at it for next time.  ((This is really the year of the wedding in my world!! Six weddings?!  And I'm just counting the ones I'm attending.))


I was really proud of  how nice the binding came out!  Hurray! For successful research and applying skills learned from YouTube!




Pattern (free!): Double Wedding Ring From the Girlfriends collection by Jennifer Paganelli of Sis Boom for FreeSpirit
Fabric: silks from stash, quilting cotton from stash, orange bias binding from Stoff & Co.

4 comments:

Marnie said...

Wow, so lovely. I'm not past any quilting skills beyond the generally squarish and rectangular shapes. Just looking at this makes me want to sit down with a stiff drink.

niddetissus said...

This is stunning, simply gorgeous! What a wonderful gift :)

adriprints said...

Hooray to squarish shapes! I will admit that I did drink a beer before quilting the quilt sandwich. At that point, I just needed to take the plunge and finish the darn thing, and I was so scared of mucking it up! :D

adriprints said...

Thank you, Donna! The recipient really liked it!