Thursday, January 9, 2014

Knit Now: Ammersee Top and Wind & Storm

When you design and submit patterns to publications, you never know what will strike an editor's fancy.  In this latest issue of Knit Now, Issue #30, you'll find that my knitting pattern, Ammersee Top, is on the cover!  Had she not told me ahead of time, I'd have scared the neighbors with my squealing for joy.  This is the first time I've ever had one of my designs on the cover of any publication, and it was a very exciting surprise I'm so glad to share with you all.

Ammersee Top, photo by  Dan Walmsley, (c) Practical Publishing

Ammersee Top is an alpine-inspired short-sleeved top featuring stranded colorwork, and hand-embroidery to finish the look.  The sample was knit over a speed knitting session of two weeks or so in the fall.  You may recall a bit of a hint when I revealed the button placket in this post here.

Ammersee Top, photo by  Dan Walmsley, (c) Practical Publishing
Also,  in this issue is a favorite pattern of mine which I've been trying to get published since I imagined it.  It's called Wind & Storm, and was inspired by last year's interminable winter (although it could totally fit with the U.S.'s current frosty situation).  The pattern remained in sketch form for a while, so I was so happy to work with Knit Now and Blacker Yarns in order to make it a reality.  The yarn is really cool - I used specifically Blacker Yarns Pure Organic Wool Corriedale with Black Welsh Mountain - it's a real working yarn with body, but softens after washing.  It has this lovely marled look, but still allows for great stitch definition.  I spit-spliced all the yarn ends so I had no ends to weave in when I was done knitting.  Also, because of the quick turnaround, I had help from a friend to knit the sleeves on this beauty... Thanks, Emma!!

Wind & Storm, photo by  Dan Walmsley, (c) Practical Publishing

Wind & Storm, photo by  Dan Walmsley, (c) Practical Publishing

Wind & Storm, photo by  Dan Walmsley, (c) Practical Publishing

Issue #30 of Knit Now can be found here: http://www.moremags.com/knitting/knit-now/knit-now-30-565

2 comments:

niddetissus said...

Gorgeous designs - congrats on the cover!!

adriprints said...

Thank you very much!